- FibromyalgiaFibromyalgia is a long term condition characterised by widespread muscle pain and fatigue. It is thought to affect 3-5% of the population. It can affect anyone at any age but is more common in women. The term 'fibromyalgia' literally means pain in muscles and fibrous tissues (ie: tendons and ligaments)....More
- Fit For Tanning
- Controlled Tanning and Skin TypingA tanned skin provides the best possible light protection. The advantages of a solarium tanning are controlled tanning and exactly dosed to suit every skin type because modern tanning systems provide a ratio of UVA and UVB rays that is more favourable to the skin than...More
- Flu & Colds
- flu & ColdsRecent scientific reports indicate that colds and flu may be more prevalent and more exascerbated by the lack of sunshine exposure during winter months.Less exposure to sunshine means less production of vitamin D in the body, potentially affecting the immunity system and making people more susceptible to viruses....More
- Gingivitis and Vitamin D
- Lowering Gingivitis (gum disease) RiskHigh blood levels of a vitamin D metabolite are associated with a decreased risk of the gum disease gingivitis, according to a recent report from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Researchers at Boston University analyzed data from 6,700 nonsmokers, aged 13-90+, from the National Health...More
- Hair Loss & Vitamin D
- Role of Vitamin D in Hair LossWhen an individual is deficient in vitamin D there are numerous consequences on the body, many of which can lead to hair loss or thinning hair.A study from the Dermatology Online Journal discusses research on the role of vitamin D in hair disorders and...More
- Health Benefits from Sunbeds
- Tanning Beds DO Have Health Benefits Health Update: New evidence is showing that sun exposure is necessary in order to promote good health. After years of being warned about the perils of exposing skin to UV rays, the tanning industry is taking large steps to invest funds into research."Sun is crucial to your...More
- How many people know about vitamin D?
- How many people know about vitamin D?Ever wonder how many people know as much about vitamin D as you? Last summer, Professor Sandra Clips and colleagues from John Hopkins University wanted to know this, too, and published some interesting results.In 2007, they sent out a questionnaire to a group of...More
- How much vitamin D do pre-teen girls need?
- How much vitamin D do pre-teen girls need?(Reuters Health) - In the winter, pre-teen girls may need more vitamin D -- either from diet or supplements -- to have healthy bones, a new study says.The goal of the study was to figure out how much vitamin D girls aged 11...More